Our actions this week come straight from wall-of-us.org (www.wall-of.us.org)
Action 1: Get the deets on impeachment
To impeach or not to impeach, that is the question. Lordy, Comey’s testimony this week got all-of-us all a-flutter about impeachment. But is it the best long-term strategy for our cause? We don’t have the answer for you quite yet. Like many of you, we are on the fence--mostly because impeachment leads to a President Pence (shudder). So let’s hold up, and study up, on the impeachment process. This week we will talk to our resistance allies, do our own research, hear your feedback, and get back to you. Here’s what all-of-us can do this week:
1. Wrap our brains around the process of impeachment. Check out Indivisible’s guide on impeachment.
2. Read Robert Reich’s position, who thinks we should go for it now.
3. Um, not so fast. Check out the argument on the other side of the coin.
4. Thanks for those of you who emailed us about impeachment this week--keep sharing your opinions with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Action 2: Stop Mitch McConnell from depriving millions of healthcare
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, sneaky Mitch McConnell began the procedure Wednesday for fast-tracking Trumpcare to get it to the floor with minimum transparency and maximum pressure. But our allies at the Center for American Progress are on it. Topher Spiro, Senior Fellow broke it down -- here are the millions of Americans who would lose their coverage under the Senate’s lipstick-on-a-pig of a revised bill:
- 5.3 million in waiver states
- 4.3 million people age 55-64
- 5.4 million on Medicaid expansion
- 1 million elderly on Medicaid
All-of-us must make sure that doesn’t happen.
1. Use this Trump toolkit to call and tweet at senators in key states. (10 minutes)
2. Retweet this and share it with your friends in targeted states. (3 minutes): https://twitter.com/jonfavs?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wall-of-us.org%2Fweekly-acts-of-resistance%2F2017%2F6%2F11%2Faction-2-stop-mitch-mcconnell-from-depriving-millions-of-healthcare
3. Sign this petition from our friends at DailyKos. (1 minute)
4. Follow @TopherSpiro for up to date intel on healthcare. (1 minute)
ACTION 3: STAND WITH OUT IMMIGRANT FAMILIES
As scary as Trump's deportation machine is (and getting scarier, recently extending to DACAyouth), allies are coming together at schools, churches, and community locations around the country to stand in solidarity with their undocumented neighbors, friends, and family members. The California Values Act (SB 54) would keep immigrant families together by limiting the use of state and local resources from engaging in deportations and sets a model for the rest of the nation. This week all-of-us must love our neighbors and ally with local groups, support state efforts, and take coordinated action in support of World Refugee Day on June 20.
1. WALL-OF-US has joined forces with other organizations to build a map of local immigration advocacy groups. If you know about a local group that serves immigrants add it to this map.
2. [FOR SUBSCRIBERS IN CALIFORNIA] Support the California Values Act, which has passed the California Senate, by calling your California Assemblymember. Use this script:
“Hello, my name is _________ and I live in _______ I would like ask Assemblymember _________ to vote YES on the California Values Act, SB 54. The bill will ensure that state and local resources are not
used to further mass deportations and separate families. The California Values Act will uphold
our core principles of equal treatment, community, and compassion. Say NO to Trump’s mass
deportation programs, please vote YES on SB 54. Thank you."
3. [FOR ALL OR AT LEAST THOSE OUTSIDE OF CA] Take action to stand with refugees by texting “STAND” to 313131 to get reminders to contact your rep and make sure they know you support the welcoming of refugees.
ACTION 4: Keep the fight up for John Ossoff!
Ready for some good news? While we’ve been focused on impeachment, things have been going peachy keen for Ossoff in Georgia! After the Tuesday debate, Ossoff emerged the victor against climate-change-denying and Planned-Parenthood-defunding Handel. The polls rewarded him with a 7 point lead post-debate. But don’t pour the bubbly just yet, because his lead means Republicans are going to start pouring money and time to elect Handel. All-of-us must keep our sleeves rolled up until the June 20th election.
1. Sign up to host or attend a “Call Your Ossoff” party.
2. Support the final stretch of this race by donating to Ossoff’s campaign.