This week's actions come straight from Wall of Us: https://www.wall-of-us.org
ACTION 1: Stop trump(don't)care
This week the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office summed up how devastating the House Republicans healthcare bill - i.e. TrumpDon’tCare - would be. Within a few years, about one-sixth of all Americans could be at risk of not being able to afford health insurance if they have pre-existing conditions and don’t have health insurance through an employer or the government. The rub for Republicans -- most of these Americans reside in red states.
TrumpDon’tCare also cuts Medicaid - the program for low-income Americans that Trump promised on the campaign trail he wouldn’t cut - by a shocking $839 billion. To pour a mountain of salt on wounded Americans, the recent budget that Trump released includes an additional $610 billion cut to Medicaid.
All-of-us must turn out this week to urge our leaders to vote against TrumpDon’tCare -- and for all Americans. Here’s how:
1. Call your governor. Find their contact information and a script for the call on our new site. Why? Many governors are putting pressure on their senators to stop the Republicans from defunding Medicaid and dismantling the ACA. All states matter, but these six states have a Democrat governor and at least one Republican senator: Colorado, Louisiana, Montana, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, West Virginia. (5-10 minutes)
2. Call your senator to demand that they do not allow this bill to pass. Find their contact information on our new site. The states below are extra key because your senators are on the (sausage-fest) committee advising Mitch McConnell on the Senate’s health care plan. (5-10 minutes)
- Arkansas - Tom Cotton
- Colorado - Cory Gardner
- Kentucky - Mitch McConnell
- Ohio - Rob Portman
- Pennsylvania - Patrick Toomey
- South Dakota - John Thune
- Tennessee – Lamar Alexander
- Texas – Ted Cruz and John Cornyn
- Utah – Orrin Hatch, Mike Lee
- Wyoming – Mike Enzi, John Barrasso
ACTION 2: Hands off Public Education
Trump is often compared to a child, which is incredibly disrespectful - to children, that is. Trump’s full proposed FY18 budget, released on Tuesday, cuts 9.2 billion from public education slashing higher education student aid, Medicaid, after-school support for deserving students, special education, and teacher training.
The budget cuts the legs out from many important programs but in particular those that held the nation’s most vulnerable, to fund tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy, sheesh. While there’s little chance the budget as a whole will pass in this form, there is a risk that some parts of it will.
Do you have or know a child in public school? Then you need to let your Members know they need to keep their #HandsOff our public education.
1. Call your three Members of Congress.* Find their information by going to our new site and logging in if your not already. Here’s a script for when you call. (5-10 minutes)
2. Personal stories move policy. Share your story of how public education has helped you or a child you know. Or tweet your story using #HandsOffEducation and #WallofUs hashtags. (5-15 minutes)
*You should have all your MoC info in your Wall-of-Us profile, but there are a ton of other resources and tools popping up for contacting your MoC. If you are curious, check them out.
ACTION 3: March of Truth
Lace up and dust off your awesome signs -- it’s time to march again. On Saturday, June 3rd, the Women’s March (yay!) will join the March for Truth to demand urgency, transparency and an impartial investigation into Russian interference in our election. There are nearly 100 marches (and counting) planned in cities across the US and world. Let’s remind Trump what the Wall-of-Us looks like!
ACTION 4: Turn it on for Jon Ossoff
The Republican candidate in Montana punched a reporter and got elected anyway. But in a deep red state, the Democrat lost by only six points. That means that all-of-us must continue to counterpunch, and we are taking the fight to Georgia again. The election is on June 20th and Ossoff has a narrow lead in the polls. Let’s work our Ossoff to ensure a victory. Here’s how: