This week's actions come courtesy of Wall of Us
ACTION 1: Don't write off killing trump's tax bill!
For the past few weeks we have asked you to call your senators and ask them to oppose Trump’s Tax Bill. In case you missed it, here is last week’s post. Just like healthcare, Trump’s Tax Bill will be stopped by a Wall-of-Us. It’s coming down to wire and the senators in the following states* are key:
Alaska - Lisa Murkowski
Arizona - John McCain
Arizona - Senator Jeff Flake
Indiana - Senator Todd Young
Kansas - Senator Jesse Moran
Maine - Senator Susan Collins
Nevada - Senator Dean Heller
Tennessee - Senator Bob Corker
Wisconsin - Senator Ron Johnson
* This list keeps changing. If you have updated information to share about your Senator’s position, email us at email@example.com.
There’s no time to waste. All-of-us must get laser focused on tanking this tax bill this week.
- If you are from one of the eight states above, contact your senators. Use this helpful toolkit from the Center for American Progress.
- If you live in a state with at least one Republican senator, call your senator. Use this tool to get specific information on how this bill affects your state so you can personalize your message.
- If you live in a blue state, use this peer-to-peer calling tool to call constituents in red states.
ACTION 2: Fight for Net neutrality
We can’t stay neutral on net neutrality. Net neutrality rules protect the free flow of information on the internet free of discrimination, censorship, and corporate control. Dismantling it, which FCC Chairman, Ajit Pai, a former telecommunications lobbyist, moved to do this week by scheduling a vote among FCC Commissioners on December 14th, would undo these protections and hand Pai’s former bosses an unprecedented level of control over how we use the Internet. There are two Democrat and three Republican commissioners. Jessica Rosenworcel (a Democrat) recently explained the consequences of ending net neutrality in an OpEd.
Wiping out net neutrality would have big consequences. Without it, your broadband provider could carve internet access into fast and slow lanes, favoring the traffic of online platforms that have made special payments and consigning all others to a bumpy road. Your provider would have the power to choose which voices online to amplify and which to censor. The move could affect everything online, including the connections we make and the communities we create.
All-of-us must speed up the fight for net neutrality.
- Learn about Net Neutrality from the ACLU here (including a very informative summary from John Oliver!).
- Tell Congress to stop this move by signing this petition from the Electronic Frontier Foundation and using this calling tool from the ACLU.
- Plan to attend a protest at a local Verizon store--details here.
ACTION 3: Defend net neutrality - via postcard
(This action comes via Postcards for America)